The Levinarian

Though time, space, and social awkwardness have conspired to separate us, let us not be separated!

"Weeping goes unheard; laughter does not" - Benjamin Franklin

Samuel Adams: "Is that crying yon?"

B.F.: "Nay. 'Tis but a backwards guffaw."

Name:
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Friday, September 08, 2006

Train Scare

Wednesday night I was heading to dinner and improv when the 7 train lost partial power and died on the tracks near Times Square. The train was quiet; reef quiet. But no one seemed too concerned. Then the loud speaker said, "Get everyone off the train!" People took notice at that. We were in the last car so either the subway serpent would eat us first, or last. But whatever the problem, it was not immediately apparent. I imagined the worst and couldn't believe I might die on my way to perform with a stupid improv group. Then the loud speaker said to move to the first car, and for the first time ever it seemed appropriate for me to risk moving between subway cars. Very exciting. People actually held the sliding doors between cars for each other. At first. Then at about the third crossing, and facing no apparent danger, self preservation seemed to kick in, because it was everyone-hold-the-door-for-yourself. For no reason, people went from really polite, to back to normal. As I passed between one set of cars, I saw daylight locked in an alcove behind bars. It was comforting aside from the locked bars part. Could I break that lock if I had to? I also read the subway emergency instructions for the first time and found them not so helpful. I also noticed no emergency exit levers on the side doors.
The conductors we passed didn't know what had happened, but I felt like they knew something just not enough to tell us. Luckily the first car was in the station so we didn't have to walk along the tracks thus saving my shoes a burning. On the platform we headed straight for the stairs as others who must not have heard the announcement waited for service to return. I didn't repeat it. The 7 is running fine now.

SOOOO much gravitas.

3 Comments:

Blogger Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

Blogs are gay

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would be more afraid of mole people. mole people scare the shit out of me.

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh god. get out of there. run.

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home