The Levinarian

Though time, space, and social awkwardness have conspired to separate us, let us not be separated!

"Weeping goes unheard; laughter does not" - Benjamin Franklin

Samuel Adams: "Is that crying yon?"

B.F.: "Nay. 'Tis but a backwards guffaw."

Name:
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Hoboken is white

Friday night I visited the whitest place on Earth, Hoboken, NJ. My improv teammate Anthony Grippa had a fundraiser for his upcoming film 'Running Funny' at a bar there. While higher concentrations of white people admittedly exist elsewhere, the service people I encountered, perhaps unaware that they were already embarrassingly white, were rude, thus creating the need for me to characterize them as being all the whiter. But maybe their rudeness is understandable as they live and work in the whitest place on Earth, Hoboken, NJ.

Saturday I received my first check for acting which I immediately tucked away in a zero interest checking account. Thanks, Delroy, my brother; my man-dowry for Alease just got a little more pregnant. Hey, have you ever been to Hoboken? I know, right?

That night, I co-hosted the United Nations of Improv which featured four teams from around the city. It was a lot of fun. Improv is predominantly white, but not as white as the bartender in the back room of this bar I went to Friday night in Hoboken, New Jersey.

At this point, I'd like to give an electronic "shout out" to my homies.

Sunday an email came from Blue Mountain Online greeting cards reminding me that my birthday is a week to ten days away. When the day comes that I must send myself such a card, it will read: "Kill yourself today for symmetry."

Did you ever notice that when it snows in Harlem, everything looks a little whiter, but when it snows in Hoboken, NJ, the snow plow trucks accidently scoop people off the sidewalk creating huge housing vacancies during the month of February, and in March the government hands out something called 'Soylent White'?

Did you ever notice how black people are black, but white people are Hoboken, NJ?

I also worked Sunday on a web video for Eurorail with a bunch of other improvisers I know, about how corporate life sucks with knee pads and petroleum jelly. There was pizza for lunch, and one of the pizzas had cheese on it that was pretty white, but it wasn't as white as the cheese on a pizza in someplaces I could mention.

A new HTML tag came out today. To make text white, you can now use the code: [color=Hoboken, NJ]your text here[/color]

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

holy shit DL, I was in a bicycle store this afternoon and saw this sick beach cruiser that had big ass hoboken-wall tires. It cost too much and gave a dirty look to my spanish side. Damnit i screwed up this thing i was writing i am gonna need some 'boken Out. Sorry i missed your imrov team's show tonight homie, you know how much I love THotE.

10:22 PM  
Blogger DvDLvN said...

Wow, I just got the 'THotE' reference. Nice, Jonathan.

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home