The Levinarian

Though time, space, and social awkwardness have conspired to separate us, let us not be separated!

"Weeping goes unheard; laughter does not" - Benjamin Franklin

Samuel Adams: "Is that crying yon?"

B.F.: "Nay. 'Tis but a backwards guffaw."

Name:
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Monday, December 24, 2007

A Brief History of "Merry Christmas"

Some time after the formation of Christianity people decided to celebrate Christmas and they said "Merry Christmas" to one another without batting an eye. Several years later political correctness kicked in, and I wound up attending a university that embraced it whole heartedly. It embraced it so heartedly that when my History of the Pacific War professor wished me a "Merry Christmas" on the library steps at the end of my first semester sophomore year, I was shocked.  What was he playing at? Surely he had gotten the memo.  He was a Dean. But he was old(ish), venerable and Southern and I know it was meant more as a gesture of goodwill than as an invitation to join the Klan. While I absolved Dean Hyatt of his innocent transgression, in years since I have been less forgiving to "Merry Christmas" wishers who are not Dean's of major universities:
 
"Merry Christmas!" says the grocery clerk. 
"Happy Kwanza!" says I. 
You assumed I celebrated Christmas because I am white, and now I am making assumptions about you, person who is also white.

"Merry Christmas!" says the pharmacist.
"Same to you!" says I.
If you meant only goodwill towards me then I want to wish you that in return, ignoramus.  If however you meant "Jews can suck it!" then I want to wish you a similar sentiment in return.*

This year in New York I've heard so many "Happy Holidays!" from so many people that I almost wonder if they are afraid to say anything else for fear that the "Same to you!" person that they've heard about is me(it is).  It makes me want to hug them and say "I can see you!" like at the end of that 80's Twilight Zone episode 'To See the Invisible Man' where a man sentences himself to 'invisibility' by hugging an 'invisible' woman because he knows what it's like to have been himself invisible.  I don't know what I have in common with these "Merry Christmas" wishers to make me want to hug them, but now I happily say it back.  
Recent exchange in Miami:

"Merry Christmas!" says the latin grocery woman.
"Feliz Navidad!" I say.
"Merry Christmas" repeats the grocery woman.

So at the risk of offending you that have not taken this journey(such as it is) The Levinarian wishes you a very "Merry Christmas" although you will probably be reading this days, if not weeks later.

The following is a Christmas themed edition of "CONDEMONIUM", the never published comic strip my Grandfather Lee Martin created in the early 80s.   He died May 18, 2004.  Enjoy!



I spent today, Merry Christmas Day, at my aunt's god daughter's house. There were ten of us in toto. Below, print agent, I model a gift



And I think we've found next year's Christmas card


That's Orson Welles with his mother.

Buenos noches to another Feliz Navidad, mi amigos



* The verbal jujitsu that is "Same to you!" can cover many bases.

2 Comments:

Blogger Natebot said...

"Happy Boxing Day!"

What's worse is there's nothing good on TV for like a whole week or more. Even on cable.

Thank goodness for Chinese restaurants, Netflix, and the internets.

11:19 PM  
Blogger DvDLvN said...

"Happy Boxing Day, Natebot!" And soon a Happy Birthday to you as well.

OnDemand cable the pain away like Peaches taught us.

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home